Sir William Borlase's Grammar School

Supporting the School

The culture of giving at Borlase is as old as the school itself.

Indeed, we owe our very foundation to the generosity and foresight of Sir William Borlase who, in 1624 and in memory of his son Henry who died that same year, decided to build a “free school” in the town, in order “to teach twenty-four poor children to write, read and cast accounts, such as their parents and friends are not able to maintain at school”.

He thus paved the way for a tradition of giving and giving back to the school that has, quite literally, shaped the school that exists today.

The support of our community is vital to the school