The Old Borlasians Club
The Old Borlasians Club was founded in 1907, by Reverend Michael Graves, and has been dedicated to serving the school ever since. We exist to support the preservation of the history, heritage and ethos of Sir William Borlase’s Grammar School. All past students and teachers of the school are eligible to join the Old Borlasians Club.
At present the Club is supporting the school in creating an archive room, thanks to a generous legacy gift from ex-president of the club, Stuart Lever (OB 1944). In addition to this we are keen to organise social events that give Old Borlasians a chance to meet up at the school or locally. Each December there is a dinner, which is attended by the committee and any other club members who would like to join us. It is also hoped that we can resurrect the Old Borlasian Dinner as a regular event, which includes both Club members and any other past staff and students who would like to join us for the evening.
At Christmas each year the Old Borlasian Club hosts a gathering to thank the teachers for their hard work during the previous year. This event helps us to remain current with those entrusted with keeping Sir William Borlase’s Grammar School at the forefront of education, sport and the arts.
We are passionate about encouraging current students to excel in all aspects of school life and to this end we provide prizes for the STEM Fayre and STEM Dinner, Boscars for the Performing Arts Evening and school caps for the first team sports captains at the Sports Dinner.
In addition to these prizes, we have been providing the Old Borlasian Prize, for the student most embodying the spirit of the school, for decades. All past recipients of the prize are shown on a board in the Cloisters. You may even find a few members of the current committee on there!
SUPPORT FOR PRIZES
The Old Borlasian Club uses the £15 annual subscription fee paid by members to ensure that the school’s annual prizes can be presented to current students at Borlase. These funds are also used to help the school with additional projects. In the past we have contributed the West Street school gates, the restoration of the Chapel spire, a glass roundel commemorating 100 years of the Old Borlasian Club and joined in with the Bricks for Borlase campaign.
We are all past students and staff of the school, who meet up four or five times a year to steer our projects and discuss the development of the Old Borlasian Club and the school. We are always happy to hear from Old Borlasians who would like to join the committee. Please click here to learn about our current committee members.
For any other enquiries, please get in touch with the Club President, Julien Bussell at Julien.firstname.lastname@example.org